Given that income tax exemption is longer for "free zone" vs. "promotion zone", how could an investor be registered as a Free Zone investor?

An investor needs to export at least 75% of the production in value to be registered as a Free Zone investor, who is eligible to enjoy seven-year corporate tax holidays. The companies such as logistics that support export-oriented manufactures can also be free zone companies. Domestic oriented manufacturing companies are regarded promotion zone companies and they are eligible to enjoy five-year tax holidays.

Do investors need to apply for import/export license each time they want to import like other companies in Myanmar?

No. Investors need to register the list of materials they want to import in advance with the Dawei SEZ Management Committee. These lists can be in the form of (a) Master list, which is the list of machinery and equipment to be imported duty free (b) Material list, which is the list of raw materials, and (c) BOM list, which is the bill of materials showing what and how much raw materials are used for the manufacturing of one product.  These lists can be regularly amended. The importation of materials in the above-mentioned lists do not require import license.

In addition to application for Investment Permit, do the investors need to contact other government ministries, departments or agencies to apply for relevant licenses/permits?

No. Investors do not need to contact any other government ministries, departments or agencies. All required licenses/permits/approvals can be acquired from the One-Stop-Service-Center physically located inside the Dawei Special Economic Zone.

Does an investor in the Dawei SEZ need to get an investment permit from the Myanmar Investment Commission (MIC)?

No. Investors in all Special Economic Zones in Myanmar are not under the ambit of the Foreign Investment Law, but under the Special Economic Zone Law, hence, they need to get the investment permit from the Management Committee of the respective Special Economic Zones, where they invest. For Dawei SEZ, this is the Dawei SEZ Management Committee.

Is the Initial Phase of Dawei SEZ only for Thai investors, as the concessionaires are all companies from Thailand?

No. The consortium of Thailand companies is the concessionaire in charge of development of the Initial Phase of Dawei SEZ. However, Dawei SEZ is a general purpose Special Economic Zone for investors from any country. All investors will enjoy the same benefits offered in the SEZ.